Want to save money but still enjoy all of your favorite snacks? Then this recipe is for you.
These yummy chocolate chip bars are so easy to make. In fact, they don’t require any cooking. Plus, you’ll find it much cheaper to make these than buy them at your local grocery store.
You will need:
- 2 cups quick cook oats (don’t mistake these for rolled oats)
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons choc chips (you can add less or more, depending on how chocolatey you want them to be)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to make them:
- Combine the oats and rice cereal in a large mixing bowl and then set aside.
- Using a small pot, melt the butter, then add brown sugar and honey. Sit over a medium to high heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Reduce the temperature and stir for around 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Add the oats and rice cereal mix, combing well to make sure the oats and cereal are coated in the butter mix.
- Pour the mixture into a greased pan (approximately 12x8x1 inches). Press down on the mixture so it’s about 3/4 of an inch thick. Make sure you press firmly, as this will ensure your bars stay together.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the pressed mixture.
- Let the mixture cool, and after about two hours you should be able to cut them into bars.
- Once you have cut up the bars, you can wrap them up in plastic or paper and store in a container.
Top Tip: Make a big batch of these bars on the weekend and deliver them to your grandchildren on Sunday afternoon. These tasty choc chip bars make perfect school snacks and if you make enough, they’ll last the whole week.
Try Something New: If you’re sick of milk chocolate, try adding dark chocolate or white chocolate chips to these bars.