Everyone loves croutons. Have you noticed they are the first to go in a Caesar Salad?
If you love croutons, you will love this recipe for homemade crunchy croutons. Not only is this recipe super tasty, but it will also help you save money. By making your own croutons, you won’t need to waste money at the supermarket on packet croutons.
You will need:
- 1 loaf of bread
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
How to make it:
- It doesn’t matter what type of loaf you use, as you will end up chopping in into 1-inch size cubes. Chop up the bread and let it sit out overnight so it dries out. This step is crucial to crunchy croutons.
- Next, combine the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Coat the croutons in the mix you have just prepared, and place them in a pan. The temperature should be low to medium.
- Using a spatula, flip and stir the croutons to make sure they cook evenly. You will only need to cook the croutons for around 15 minutes. After this time, you’ll find that your croutons have become golden brown and crispy!
- If you want to serve them warm, you can add them straight to your salad or soup. Otherwise, let the croutons cool and then store them in an airtight container. This will ensure your croutons are super crispy for when you go to use them.
How to use it:
Weekday Recipe Idea: Croutons go perfectly with bacon in a Caesar salad, so consider preparing a big batch of croutons and using them to prepare salads for the week. You’ll save money if you bring your own lunch to work instead of buying it.
Winter Recipe Idea: Since it’s so cold outside, why not cook up a batch of crunchy croutons to enjoy with a tasty Winter soup. A simple and comforting meal your whole family can enjoy.